Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Friday, October 28

Wine of the Week

 

Fontafredda Langhe Eremo Rosso, 2002

A reader told me that I couldn't consider myself any sort of wine critic without occasionally badmouthing a bottle, and I understand that position. Mostly, though, my palate isn't so developed that I can actually discern the subtle differences between an okay wine, a good wine, an outstanding wine and so on.

My level of expertise, or philosophy, or whatever you want to call it, is that I know what I like, and I know what I don't. So right now I'm going to list a bottle of wine that I disliked despite having been recommended to me by the quaint Du Vin on San Vincente. The wine in question? Fontafredda Langhe Eremo Rosso, 2002.

A Nebbiolo/Barbera red blend from the Piedmont region of Italy, the wine was tangy with too much of a peppery aftertaste. Maybe we opened the bottle too soon, maybe we should have decanted it, maybe it was corked. I couldn't tell you. All I know is I didn't like it, I don't recommend it, and I would avoid it if I were you. Go to Du Vin and buy something else. Usually their recommendations are excellent.

Next week, I will present you with a bottle that I actually enjoyed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too "peppery"? I would say that you have more sophistication vis a vis wine than you are giving yourself credit for. How about some ruminations on beer? Or, better yet, dishonesty in Washington!

Saturday, October 29, 2005 9:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other hand, if the Dilettante can't tell the difference between "opening a bottle too early" and "corked" than perhaps her tastebuds are exactly as sophisticated as she says!

Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger The Dabbler said...

I think I might be able to tell the difference between corked and too young...but we had this so long ago I can't exactly remember whether it tasted turned or just bad. But nobly rotten is probably more accurate than not.

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home