Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, October 27

The Dangers of Blogging

 


Last night I attended my monthly book club meeting. As is often the case, more time was spent discussing the goings on in each member's life than the book selection itself (that's why I love my book club so much, considering I'm post-literate). It just so happens that a good percentage of the Dabbler's dedicated readers are in this particular social group, and fairly early on into the evening I had a startling revelation.

Basically, everything that I might have contributed to the conversation that could have been of interest to my peers -- about the Garage Project, about restaurants, about movies or TV, etc. -- had already been written about in my blog; and most people in attendance (bless their hearts) had read my musings. Anything I wanted to say had already been said, ad infinitum, available to my friends and family at the click of a mouse! This left me, for the first time in as long as I can remember, speechless.

Uh oh. Given my bumbling social skills and limited capacity in the conversational arts in the first place, I might have to rethink this blog thing. Blogs may represent the end of the Dabbler's ability to engage in small talk. I can deal with being post-literate. But post-conversationalist? I don't think so.

Then again, maybe I used to talk too much, and my blog has offered a much needed reprieve to others (in the book club, not to mention in other parts of my life) who, before, could never get a word in edgewise.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here so the Dabbler can figure out what to do. To post, or not to post?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whether repeated or not, your stories never fail to entertain so please keep posting! There is always more in that mega-intelligent brain for you to contribute.

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could anyone ever get too much of the Dabbler? (Actually sounds, at this moment, like a Batman character!) Keep those postings and musings coming. It makes an older reader feel almost hip and with-it.

Friday, October 28, 2005 11:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One way to counteract the lack of amusing anecdotes in non-blog life is to make stuff up. No one will be the wiser!

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger The Dabbler said...

I'm not a good liar, otherwise I think Nicolina's suggestion is brilliant. Thanks for all of your support!

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only DANGER of blogging (for you) is to NOT do it. Of course you should blog. You're meant to blog. And blog some more. Spoken or written – you’ve got a captive audience! :)

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home