Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Sunday, August 6

Why Bravo's new show "Work Out" is awesome!

 

When it comes to reality fare, I've graduated from MTV to Gay-TV, since my two favorite shows of the summer are on Bravo. Project Runway doesn't really need to be defended. It's one of the only reality competitions in which the contestants have skills and talent, though it does

cast its share of flamboyant (not in a gay sense -- at least all the time) personalities who are there for the drama more than for the contest. Work Out, however, is sure to have its share of detractors. All I can say is that they must not have given the show a fair shot. It's like the best show ever!

Why? Well, I'm not sure I can put it into words, nor do I feel like I should have to defend it.

But I will, because I fear that it will be brazenly dismissed, due to the brief six episode season, a less than desireable time-slot, not to mention the general public's possible lack of interest in watching wealthy people (most of whom are already svelte and toned) train at a private fitness facility in Beverly Hills...the list goes on. And to counter the naysayers, here are my thoughts.

First, Jackie Warner is fascinating simply because she's the spitting image of Scarlett Johansson -- well, she would be if Scarlett Johansson were taller, in her late 30s, and butch (or if she's ever tapped to reprise Linda Hamilton's role in future Terminator installments). They have the same husky voice, and look as if they could be long lost sisters.

Second, Jackie is charismatic. She doesn't take any shit. Except from her dimwitted, and not-even-that-pretty-young-thing, girlfriend Mimi (who likes to bite and is a really bad painter. Hmmmm).

Third, it's sort of like watching a non-mockumentary version of 'The Office' (actually the best show on TV, not a 'best of shitty summer' TV) only with narcissitic weight lifting Hollywood types and C-list celebrities; imagine watching the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show after seeing Best In Show and maybe you'll get what I'm saying.

Fourth, the reviewer at the New York Times also likes it, so it must be good.

Fifth, I found out that Jackie Warner used to date the woman from The Biggest Loser (Jillian?) (incidental information), and that the two of them used to run the small private training facility where I occasionally go (the important detail here) and sweat alongside various WB actors and sundry B-listers. Just yesterday I learned that Jackie got in trouble and possibly fired for running an insurance scam at the gym, and also got in frequent fist-fights with Jillian...fascinating stuff. Sky Sport and Spa also takes insurance, by the way.

Sixth, everything else on TV these days (with a few exceptions) sucks ass.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's also got some Tori Spelling in her. Never a bad thing.

Monday, August 07, 2006 6:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh, a new show I can watch. Thanks for the tip, Dabbler!

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home