Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Friday, May 19

I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so

 

So I'm not sure if I've touched upon this yet in DoD, but I've been a longtime fan of all things Japanese. When I was a kid, I watched Battle of the Planets and Starblazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato, pictured left), played not with Voltron (defender of the universe) but with Daitarn, a largescale, die-cast metal robot whose box was completely in Kanji (I still mourn the loss of Waltham's Mr. Big's Toyland, which stocked unconventional items).* I collected manga (though I called them comic books) because I liked the aesthetic, since I surely couldn't read the words. On the more girly end of the spectrum, I couldn't get enough Sanrio. Hello Kitty, Patty and Jimmy, Little Twin Star...you name it, I had them all. Too bad the outstanding Chococat wasn't around back then.


This fascination has morphed over the years, and with three trips to Japan under my belt, it has matured into a true interest in the history, culture and popular culture of the country. I have a small collection of contemporary Japanese art (yes, the image to the right is 'Art'), a subscription to the Japanese equivalent of Dwell Magazine (Casa Brutus), and I like to think of myself as something of a Nipponophile.

But the thing I love most about Japan -- and possibly know the most about -- is its food. I have grown to appreciate the culinary delights that the Land of the Rising Sun has to offer. And now there are several places in Los Angeles where I can find out of the ordinary Japanese treats, and not just your standard Ramen or Sushi.

The first, Beard Papa, is worth the trip to the brutal Hollywood and Highland complex. Beard Papa specializes in cream puffs, made to order, with vanilla or green tea whipped cream custard filling. They are delicious. They are cheap. They are currently not on my diet. But they should be on yours. Go get them! (FYI, they are also available in New York and have recently opened up in Boston at Fanueil Hall Marketplace.)

The second, Famima!! (the two exclamation points are so very Japanese), is the U.S. name of Japan's Family Mart, a 7-11 type convenience store. In addition to band-aids, tweezers, magazines and prepared foods, they offer several types of steamed bao, prominently displayed in a case next to the check-out register. Actually, bao are not technically Japanese in their origins -- they are either Chinese or Vietnamese -- but the way they are sold here, and the feeling of the store in general, is exactly the same as it is in the countless convenience stores found across Japan; hence you will have an authentic Japanese experience, if not a singularly Japanese food. Though the convenience items are pricey, the bao are about $1.50 each and quite filling. Yum. Famima!! is quickly sprouting up all over L.A. as its American test market, and hopes to open elsewhere across the country.

Finally, on the westside's Sawtelle strip (aka Little Tokyo West) check out the generically named 'Tokyo Japanese Outlet' in the mini-mall north of Olympic, on the west side of the street. There, you'll find Pretz and Pocky sticks (apparently the official snack of anime) among countless other Japanese treats, like a mysterious starburst-esque candy that tastes like yogurt. In addition to food, you can stock your kitchen with items such as a mandolin to slice green onions with, or an omelette pan in which to cook your tamago. Most of the products sold here are $1.50 or under, so I call this the 'everything for 100 yen or so store'.

*Wow, how I love the internet. Please click on the Mr. Big's link above, and you'll be directed to YouTube.com, where you can see an actual television commercial for the one and only Mr. Big's, touting their huge selection of hard to find Starblazers and Battleship Yamato diecast metal toys and robots...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe that there is actually a commercial for Mr. Big's Toyland in existence. Never even saw one in "real time"! You and/or the internet is a genius!

Monday, May 22, 2006 3:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home