Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, January 24

And introducing DJ Dabble...

 

Those of you who weren't lucky enough to be an acquaintance of the Dabbler circa 1991 probably have no idea that her past includes a stint as a party DJ. Her moniker in that era embarrassingly included the word "jazzy", with a sidekick whose nickname contained "fresh" somewhere in it. I also ambivalently admit that I called the enterprise PMS, short for "Post-Modern Spinsters" (my partner and I were both single at the time -- not to mention, a little bitchy at least once a month). Yes, we were that creative. I even put it on my resume.

I am proud to introduce you to a reincarnated/reinvigorated disc jockey, and though I am no longer Jazzy, I return to you in the form of DJ Dabble. My inspiration to return to vinyl (or bits and bytes as the digital age would have it) comes from recently hearing, on NPR, a new version of U2's 'One', which first appeared on Achtung Baby in 1991, at the height of PMS's domination of the booming Williamstown party circuit. The 'One' do-over is a not quite a cover, but rather a duet frontlined by Mary J. Blige, and including Bono's enthusiastic participation. It is quite an inspired, if a tad cheesy, anthem. And it is, quite possibly, even better than the real thing...

So, what follows is the first DJ Dabble Mix. To find and download the songs, go to iTunes and type "DJ Dabble Mix" into the search box within the iMix section (Apple provides no easy way for me to send you a link directly from here; please let me know if you have any problems navigating).*
Please note, the song order on this blog is the order in which the Dabbler has deemed the songs be played; the iTunes music store re-orders, and also excludes what it has termed 'illegitimate pop material' as well as songs to which Apple has not yet secured licenses, from the playlist.

Download, listen, and let me know what you think!


DJ Dabble Mix #1: The Return of the Dabbler
(Song title/Artist)
1. One/Mary J. Blige and Bono
2. Bomb the World (Armageddon Version)/Michael Franti and Spearhead
3. Your Cover's Blown/Belle & Sebastian
4. Feel Good Inc./Gorillaz
5. Endlessly/Muse
6. Thong's Lullaby/DJ Crook Air mashup of Sisqo and The Cure
7. Going, Going, Gone/Stars
8. Cosy in the Rocket/Psapp
9. Breathe/Telepopmusik
10. Mad World/Tears for Fears
11. Bonnie and Clyde/Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot
12. Bobcaygeon/The Tragically Hip
13. Hurt/Johnny Cash
14. Ain't No Half-Steppin'/Big Daddy Kane

*Addendum: it appears there may be a link to the iMix, but you probably need iTunes installed on your computer. Try this: DJ Dabble's Mix

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great mix, Dabbler! Might I add a great classic to your list: Sleeping Bag by ZZ Top. Really rocking!

Monday, January 30, 2006 8:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home