Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, November 29

The Ivy Pinkerton Files

 

Things I don't get

There are many trends in fashion that don't appeal to me -- giant fly-eye-like sunglasses quickly come to mind, but I can understand their allure. In the case of jumbo sunglasses, I can see the draw of '70s glamour and increased ability to go incognito, as not just your eyes are covered but also vast swaths of cheek as well.

But then there are trends I don't get at all, that the rest of the world seems to lap up like drunken puppies. These things include:


1) All things Juicy Couture. Ok, I'll admit that I really liked my Juicy Couture t-shirt circa 1999 when no one else was making flattering t-shirts for women. But these days, their offerings of hoodies and clothes emblazoned with every cliche under the sun leave me completely unimpressed. Is there any difference between Juicy Couture and say, J-Lo's clothing line? Do they just have really good P.R. so that they seem like they are everywhere, or are people really buying this stuff?


2) Intricately distressed jeans. I like a nice, broken in pair of jeans as much as the next gal, but I can't tell one distressed pair from the next.


Nevertheless, there is a booming industry of jean makers studying wear patterns and recreating them on brand spanking new denim with miniature buffers and filers. For $200, why not pay a teenage boy to run around in them for a while? It's more fun for everyone.

3) Boots with fur. I pity the poor animals who gave up their lives for the countless women (and probably several men) who are wearing a trend that was fresh two years ago. Now fur boots are so ubiquitous that there are hair balls literally floating down West Broadway from all the holiday shoppers tramping about in these things.


Can someone please explain why these trends are so popular? I'd rather ponder something more interesting, like leg-of-mutton sleeves, or even jumpsuits. --IP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home