Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, November 9

The Ivy Pinkerton Files

 

Crazy Stockings

From New York, Ivy reports:

Is there anything crazier than crazy stockings? I can't think of anything, except crazy hats, which are in the exclusive domain of the British, never to cross the Channel or the Pond. Crazy stockings require that you match your outfit to your accessory, on your legs no less.

The last time I wore crazy stockings was when I had a pair of Norma Kamali striped tights in junior high. I thought I looked one part Punk, one part High Fashion, but instead I fear it was nearly all Clown.



Wolford, the master stockings-maker, has always been daring with their designs but in recent years their bold patterns have remained in the typical palette of black, taupe, brown, and grey. Imagine my surprise when I came across this window display today. I started having flashbacks of snickering classmates and Echo and the Bunnymen.

But when I got a grip I realized that we have indeed arrived again, people, in the Era of the Leg. It was inevitable, with all signs pointing this way, between the knickers and the miniskirts. And in the Era of the Leg, the leg is exposed and dressed up every which way like an Upper East Side Chihuahua. But perhaps in the case of some of Wolford’s more psychedelic offerings, it would be hard to get over feeling like a Poodle with a Mohawk. --IP


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do knee highs with cables even count as legwear anymore? At least they still carry them-NOT in the orthopedic section, either!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 6:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They count. Though they are crazy in an entirely different way...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 7:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home