Diary of a Dilettante

Just in case you cared, here's a place where you can find out a little bit about everything that I know a little bit about.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I'm all over the place. Get it?

Add to Google

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, September 6

Scooped by Robert Parker: Jorge Ordonez rocks!

 

I had been planning a follow-up to my ten dollar wine entry from last month, to tout the greatness of importer Jorge Ordonez, who seems to have the Midas touch when it comes to choosing wines from Spain worthy of consumption. Many of the bargains I mentioned were his selections, though he finds gems at all price points for those willing to (over)pay.

Unfortunately, Robert Parker seems to have beaten me to the punch, imagine that, with an article on Ordonez in the most recent issue of the venerable Wine Advocate (#166). So instead of being a tastemaker I will look like a copycat. Oh well. I guess I'll have to find some other way to get my big break into the highly lucrative and not at all competitive field of wine journalism.

In any case, here are some selections from Ordonez that I think you should check out. I will refrain from posting WA scores or Parker's tasting notes, since I wholeheartedly believe that anything you see at a wine shop that has the 'Jorge Ordonez' symbol on the back label, as shown here, is at the very least worth a try. By the way, all of my recommendations are red wines, so sorry to you white drinkers.


*Hijos de Juan Gil '04 (approx. $13-15 depending on store -- available at Cost Plus, Wine House, Larchmont Wine & Cheese)

*Luzon Jumilla '05 ($6.99 -- available at Larchmont Wine & Cheese)

*Altos de Luzon Jumilla '04 ($11.99 -- soon to be available at Larchmont Wine & Cheese)

*Alto Moncayo Veraton '03 ($19.99 -- available at the Wine House)

*Alto Moncayo, Alto Moncayo '04 ($43.99 -- available at John & Pete's in the past)

*Bodegas Zabrin Garnacha de Fuego '05 ($6.99 -- new project from Juan Gil and Ordonez, not yet released and availability to be determined)

*Agricola de Borja Vina Borgia '05 ($5.49)

Link

2 Comments:

Blogger The Dabbler said...

oops, made a little mistake. the veraton is available at hi-time in costa mesa, not at Wine House.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Oishii Eats said...

Thanks girl! I'm still working on my Wine Buy of the Week template. I'm soooo lazy!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home